Your Guide to Tax-Free Childcare

Did you know – Energy Kidz is Ofsted registered, and as a result, we can accept Tax-Free childcare. The scheme allows you to access government-funded payment support that will give you 20% for every pound you pay into your account.


How does it work?

As an Ofsted registered provider – Energy Kidz can support families who utilise the government-funded Tax-Free childcare scheme to support payments on your childcare bookings.

The scheme offers eligible families up to £2,000 per child per year (or £4,000 for disabled children) free to put towards childcare costs. Upon a successful application, families will be entitled to 20% additional funds for what you pay into your account. For example, for every £8 you pay, the government will automatically add £2, effectively giving you a basic rate tax back on what you spend.

We understand that sometimes going through the application process can be confusing, and therefore, we are here to support you with a helpful guide for your Tax-Free Childcare application.

Find out more here:


Am I Eligible?

According to the government website, Tax-Free childcare is available to:

  • Families with children aged 0-11 (or 0-16 if disabled)
  • Working families, including the self-employed, in the UK
  • Families earning under £100k and at least the National Minimum or Living wage equal to 16 hours a week
  • Families who aren’t currently in receipt of Tax Credits, Universal credits or Childcare Vouchers

Find out more here.


How to use Tax-Free childcare at Energy-Kidz

How to register:

Families will need to create an account or sign in to the government childcare services portal below. There is one single application to apply for either the 30 hours of free childcare for nursery-aged children or Tax-Free Childcare for older children.

To start your application, please follow the step-by-step government guide and the registration link below.

Start your application today!



You can find further helpful information on how we continue to strive to make childcare affordable for all families here!

I can’t find my local Energy-Kidz club/camp listed as a provider on the government website; what do I do?

You can select any Energy-Kidz Wraparound or Holiday Club location listed on our website. We are in the process of setting each camp location up with Tax-Free childcare, but unfortunately, this can take some time. The funds will reach us regardless of which Energy Kidz site you choose. Please do not select the school location as this will not be paid into us.

I’m currently using childcare vouchers – do I now have to register for Tax-Free Childcare, or do you still accept childcare vouchers?

Yes, you can still use your childcare vouchers – however, as this has been discontinued for any new employers from 4th October 2018 – once you’ve stopped using Childcare Vouchers, you only have the option of Tax-Free childcare.

You can continue to use Childcare Vouchers until your employer stops offering them or you change jobs. Find out more at Help paying for childcare: Childcare vouchers and other employer schemes – GOV.UK (

What if I’m registered for Childcare Vouchers, but Tax-Free childcare would be better for me?

We recommend registering with Tax-Free childcare and subsequently discussing this directly with your employer.